The Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of Washington, DC (YNPNdc) is recruiting candidates for the Board of Directors. YNPNdc works to activate young nonprofit professionals and champion their needs to strengthen the Greater Washington nonprofit community by providing opportunities for professional growth, networking and learning, and opportunities to explore the mission-driven sector with peers across the DMV. Our Board of Directors leads our community of 30+ volunteers in all aspects of the organization’s programming, communications, membership services, and strategic visioning and implementation.
This is an opportunity to be part of a community of passionate individuals looking to make a difference for peers in the nonprofit space. We are especially eager to bring in new Directors seeking to contribute time and energy (10-15 hours/ month) to our commitment to equity, volunteer coordination, and organizational/Board development. Directors will have an opportunity to practice Board service and governance, play an integral role in strategic planning, and serve a local audience of 2,500+ plugged into the YNPNdc network.
In the next year, YNPNdc is prioritizing the following areas and we are looking for Board Members who will contribute to these goals:
- Improving internal structures, processes, and communication
- Creating new strategic partnerships in the DMV area
- Expanding our Membership Program
- Increasing our revenue, specifically through donations, grants and sponsorships
- Maintaining and expanding existing programming
- Enhancing the organization’s public image and serving as a thought leader in the DC nonprofit sector
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. EST on May 6. The Board intends to select anywhere from 3-5 individuals to serve on the Board of Directors. Candidates selected to interview will be contacted by a Board Member. We anticipate that we will begin interviews on May 12.
The Board of Directors has identified a desire for any and all of the following experiences, skills, and considerations:
- Early career professional entering workforce
- Seasoned professional with strong understanding of various nonprofit career stages
- Strong business planning and finance skills
- Experience with diversity, equity, inclusion through work or service
- Knowledge of nonprofit governance
- Strong connections to local communities or locally focused nonprofits
- Connections to individuals and organizations in the nonprofit sector and/or career and leadership development space
- Knowledge of Greater Washington region (political, economic, geographic, cultural, historical context and realities)
- Demographic diversity, as outlined in our Diversity Statement (ynpndc.org/about/diversity-statement/)
- Diversity of political ideology
Board Members are expected to commit to at least a one-year term (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023), but preference will be given to those who are willing to commit to 18- or 24-month terms.
Dates to note if selected for the position:
- Board onboarding: June 6
- YNPNdc board and volunteer town hall: June 19
- Training with chairs and other board members to be scheduled based on availability in June
- Board Service begins: July 1
We are looking for candidates who are interested in performing the required responsibilities as listed in the description above. Keep in mind that YNPNdc values professional growth and development, so it is not required to possess all of the preferred qualifications to apply.
YNPNdc is a community of forward-thinking and inspired nonprofit professionals who are effecting change. We offer networking, professional development, mentorship, advocacy opportunities, and more. Membership is open to all.
YNPNdc is an independent 501(c)(3) organization, affiliated with the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN), which serves more than 50,000 members and includes chapters in more than 40 cities.